Sunday, August 23, 2009

At the University of Maine...

you're in a great place.


That slogan, as cheesy as it may be, rings true with me and with many other UMaine students I am sure. I was thrilled to find out on Friday that I got the position of Dirigo Tour Guide that I had applied for. This means that I now work for all 3 branches of New Student Programs, Telecounseling and Student Ambassadors being the other 2. Earlier this week I worked a few days at the Visitors Center before Student Ambassador training started to get acquainted and see whether tour guiding was something I wanted to actually apply for. After assisting on a couple of tours I knew that it was definitely something I wanted to do! Not only is it fun, but I actually learn new things about the campus I call home on each one. For instance, did you know that UMaine's Fogler Library is the biggest library in the state of Maine and has over 1.1 MILLION volumes? Or that the state-of-the-art Recreation and Fitness Center that opened in 2007 is the largest one of its kind north of Boston? How about that 11% of UMaine's population is involved with Greek life? Okay that one isn't as interesting, but a fact nonetheless.
On Wednesday we had a special tour of camp kids that we took to specific areas of campus. One of those areas was the AEWC, which is UMaine's Advanced Structures and Composites Center. The kids got a tour of the facility from 2 grad students, but I also hopped on that tour because I myself had never been there. This facility is a shining star in the engineering world and produces some of the finest work in the field. Infact, the US Secretary of Transporation, Ray LaHood, visited the AEWC last Monday to check out their ideas in bridge making. That's a big deal! His boss is Barack Obama!
Whether it be how beautiful our campus is (check out the above photo that I snagged off UMaine's website), or the people I know here, or the things I learn everyday, I love being a student at UMaine and I can't wait to be that first impression that future students can have of the University. I think I'll really like being a tour guide.

On another note, SA training is going well. Long days. We have retreat on Tuesday night. We are going to a big cabin and hanging out. That should be fun. I will try to take some pictures to put up here. Alright time for bed.

Later, gators!

1 comment:

james in washington & maine said...

I did know that Ray LaHood had visited the composites lab up there. You are a good ambassador for the Uni!