Monday, March 2, 2009

Some exciting news!

I got an e-mail last night informing me that I have been chosen as a UMaine student ambassador for 2009-2010! I interviewed for the position last month and was really looking forward to hearing back--so I was definitely VERY excited about the outcome! The picture is Tour Guides and Student Ambassadors from a couple years ago. For those that don't know, I'll explain a little bit about what being a student ambassador means. At UMaine we have a very active New Student Programs office, which runs programs throughout the entire year that focus on recruitement and then welcoming future students. As many of you know, I have been a telecounselor for New Student Programs all year and have really enjoyed my job there, which is one of the main reasons I decided to apply for the Student Ambassador position. Student Ambassadors run new student orientations in the summer and then they also run fall welcome weekend. So, for three weeks this summer I'll be very busy doing training and then 2 weeks of orientations. Orientations are two days long and we have a number of them throughout those 2 weeks, which are divided up by colleges. The SA's plan and then execute everything for those orientations. Here's an idea of the itinerary for an orientation at UMaine:

12:00 - 3:30 p.m.
ORIENTATION CHECK IN, INFO FAIR & MEETINGS
Check-in at registration desk
Check into residence hall
Get your MaineCard student ID picture taken
Register your keys with Public Safety
Textbook reservation form
Parking decal application
Campus Tours
Meeting for Honors College Students & Parents
Meeting for Student Athletes & Parents
Meeting for Transfer Students
Meeting for New Commuter Students
3:30 p.m. ORIENTATION OPENING SESSIONS
Hearty Maine Hello, Money Matters, Agenda Review, Team Maine
4:30 p.m. Breaking the Ice
5:45 p.m. Planet UMaine
6:15 p.m. Bear Fare Cookout
7:30 p.m. Computers on Campus
8:00 p.m. Making College Count
9:15 p.m. Reality U!
10:30 p.m. Bonfire/Res Hall Activities
DAY 2
7:00 a.m. Check-out of Residence Hall
7:45 a.m. Breakfast
9:00 a.m. Class Scheduling & Advising
10:00 a.m. The Finish Line

I remember my orientation fondly and it really does help with the nerves that come along with starting college. I am VERY excited and look forward to welcoming the class of 2013 (wow) to the University of Maine!

Later, gators!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's my daughter!

Anonymous said...

Wow. You are so active! It's great to see you taking advantage of all the opportunities there.

Anonymous said...

great job. Hope you hAVE FUN
Mammie