Wednesday, November 5, 2008

This is unreal...




The first president I ever voted for was a black man and he won. I seriously could not be more proud of this country if I tried. I am 21 years old. When my parents were 21 years old, it would have been IMPOSSIBLE to have a black president. It's so unreal. It was an emotional night last night. I watched the returns with a few friends and then after the exciting news that Barack Obama would be our next president, Cory and I headed back home. A few minutes later Cory came bounding into my room as Obama was starting his speech and said "SARAH I HAVE TO WATCH THIS WITH YOU, I THINK I MIGHT CRY" and so we sat on my bed, weeping in happiness for how far our country has come and the history that we are now a part of. Children for thousands of years will know that name. George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Barack Obama. And I was a part of making that happen. It's a good feeling. I have always loved this country and the freedoms it provides me with, but I am more proud to be an American on this day than I have ever been before.

"Now the hopes of the little girl who goes to a crumbling school in Dillon are the same as the dreams of the boy who learns on the streets of LA; we will remember that there is something happening in America; that we are not as divided as our politics suggests; that we are one people; we are one nation; and together, we will begin the next great chapter in the American story with three words that will ring from coast to coast; from sea to shining sea --
Yes. We. DID.
"

Congratulations, Mr. President.

later, gators!

No comments: