Monday, June 18, 2007

It's the bitch of living...


Did anyone watch the Tony's this year? If you did than you saw the superb performance by the cast of the new, hit musical Spring Awakening. I don't know what is about this show, but it's taking the world by storm. I was first introduced to the show by my good friend (and future roommate) Alyssa. At first I didn't know how I felt about it, it seemed a bit too rock-ish to me. BUT after seeing the performance on the Tony's I was COMPLETELY 100% hooked. To see these performers who are MY age up on the Tony stage was amazing. Seriously, the lead actor was born in 1985...two years before me. That's incredible.
For those of you that aren't sure what the show is about, here is the synopsis from the official website:

SPRING AWAKENING takes its inspiration from one of literature’s most controversial masterpieces – a work so daring in its depiction of teenage self-discovery, it was banned from the stage and not performed in its complete form in English for nearly 100 years.
It’s Germany, 1891. A world where the grown-ups hold all the cards. The beautiful young Wendla explores the mysteries of her body, and wonders aloud where babies come from, till Mama tells her to shut it, and put on a proper dress.
Elsewhere, the brilliant and fearless young Melchior interrupts a mind-numbing Latin drill to defend his buddy Moritz – a boy so traumatized by puberty he can’t concentrate on anything. Not that the Headmaster cares. He strikes them both and tells them to turn in their lesson.
One afternoon – in a private place in the woods – Melchior and Wendla meet by accident, and soon find within themselves a desire unlike anything they’ve ever felt.
As they fumble their way into one another’s arms, Moritz flounders and soon fails out of school. When even his one adult friend, Melchior’s mother, ignores his plea for help, he is left so distraught he can’t hear the promise of life offered by his outcast friend Ilse.
Naturally, the Headmasters waste no time in pinning the “crime” of Moritz’s suicide on Melchior and expel him. And soon Mama learns her little Wendla is pregnant. Now the young lovers must struggle against all odds to build a world together for their child.


I hope to see it on Broadway sooner than later and I am going to buy the soundtrack off ITunes as soon as I get my first paycheck (I start work today, woo).
As John Heilpern of the New York Observer said about the show "Once in a generation a new musical comes along that changes everything" and I couldn't agree more.
Check it out, I promise you won't be disappointed.

Later, gators!!

No comments: