Tuesday, February 12, 2008

My first recital lab...

Hey everyone. Yesterday was my first recital lab ever. Recital labs happen every Monday from 2:10-3:00. All the music students go into Minsky Recital Hall and we listen to our peers perform. Every music student is required to perform at least once per semester. Yesterday was my first time! It went pretty well, but something kinda funny happened at the beginning. My accompanist was Phillip Silver, who is a professor here at UMaine. He's a really amazing pianist and he's a good accompanist because he gives good feedback and all that jazz. So anyway, yesterday I start singing my song and I realize a bit into it that something is going horribly wrong. Like it just sounds off. So I start backtracking in my mind going "what in the world did I do wrong!??!" And I looked at Phillip out of the corner of my eye. He stopped playing and he goes "my mistake!" He had the pages out of order! I was sooo relieved that it wasn't me!!! So we started again and it actually took a lot of the nerve off...and I sounded better the second time around. Everyone had a laugh and congratulated me after for being "the only person they'd ever seen Phillip mess up with". haha. He felt bad, I think, but I mean...it was honest mistake. No hard feelings =) Plus it was pretty funny. Alyssa was taping...so you can watch the video. Her camera dies before the end, but you'll get a good jist off my song...plus the funny mess up at the beginning. Enjoy! Later, gators!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

very cute! Nice job Sarah...as an tenor, I could never sing that high. :)

James in Washington said...

sounds intense to me...but then, apparently I am tone deaf and am only allowed to sing if Daryl is nearby to get me on the pitch...

Anonymous said...

YOU ARE AWESOME!! It was nice to actually see the story that you relayed to me yesterday. Mammie watched the video and thinks you are exceptional. For some reason she cannot leave a comment on anyone's blog. M-S and I are looking forward to seeing the opera on Sunday. The only thing that would keep us from doing so would be another storm. As always, I am very proud. I love you.
~Dad