Monday, March 12, 2007

American Idol...a talent competition. Really?


Can I just be the first to say that I have never been a big fan of American Idol. I do have reasoning to back myself up, though.


Number one...Kelly Clarkson has been the ONLY winner to go on and actually do something. Clay Aiken had sort of made a career for himself, only to quickly squash the career when he squashed Kelly Ripa's mouth. Clay Aiken, however, was not even a winner. He was runner-up to Ruben Studdard. Have we seen Ruben Studdard? Nope. Fantasia Barrino? Nah. Carrie Underwood? Kind of, but only in the country world and she's even died down there. And finally we come to Taylor Hicks. And once again we come to another nope. So where are all the winners? Yes, they're in America, but are they Idols? Not by a long stretch.

Number two...I take issue with any show that just gives people careers that others have been working a lifetime to achieve. DO NOT even get me started on that damn show that is giving someone the lead in a Broadway musical. The thought of it makes me fume from the ears. Though these people may want to be singers and it may be their dream, they didn't achieve it the way that they should have. The way that everyone else is forced to. They were told by a guy who over-uses the word "dawg", a has been pop singer trying a bit too hard to stay young, and a pompous British guy with a tendency to show more chest hair than any of us wish to see, that they are good singers. Once they pass that hurdle they face 13 year olds who stay up until 2 in the morning voting for the one they think is cute 677 times. Which brings me to my final point.

Number Three...I think in the beginning American Idol was a talent competition. In fact, I love Kelly Clarkson and I think she's an incredibly talented woman. When season two rolled around they had an AMAZING singer by the name of Frenchie Davis.

They kicked her off the show because of pictures of her topless that had surfaced even though she had admitted from the beginning that the pictures were out there. Regardless of her honesty she was kicked off. Frenchie has since gone on to star in RENT and has a career far greater than it seems Ruben will ever have. So, I must laugh at little at AI's stupidity.
Anyway, back to my point. This season, a girl who quite frankly couldn't sing a damn note (and I am not just saying that. I am pretty sure my cat could belt it out better than this broad) was found in some nude pictures online too. And she had NOT been up front about it. So why then was Frenchie Davis, an amazing, talented, full figured woman kicked off of American Idol but an untalented, tone deaf, skinny girl allowed to stay on?

Thankfully, Antonella Barba has since been kicked off because of the fact that she, seriously, sings entire songs almost an entire half step below where she should be. It's like nails on a chalkboard. And though I am happy that she is gone, it does not make me feel any better about what American Idol truly stands for. Has what was once aimed at being a competition for elite singers turned into a place for untalented bimbos to gain recognition? I don't know. Perhaps that's for America to decide. I, however, will be watching those that American Idol rejects. The Frenchie Davis' & the Jennifer Hudsons of the world that go on to do greater things than American Idol ever did for them. They should be proud that Simon's constant remarks about their weight didn't deter them and that now as he sits next to Paula Abdul judging people that will go nowhere in their careers, they are getting standing ovations on the Broadway stage, on the Oscar stage, on the stage that America is really watching.
Later, gators.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Clay Aiken had sort of made a career for himself, only to quickly squash the career when he squashed Kelly Ripa's mouth."

???????? Sarah, where have you been the last four years? Clay's "sort of" career surpasses those of all of the other idols combined. He is educated, literate, funny, and has the best voice to come out of AI so far. All of the attempts by haters to hurt his career have made Clay and his career that much stronger.

Clay has IT and is IT. The game ended with AI2. Idol found!

Sarah said...

Who are you...?

sara said...

Clay Aiken has his fans, but is not hugely famous. He is not the best singer to come from American Idol, there are better singers that lost out in the show.
You can not say that his career surpasses that of all other idols combined because i do believe that Kelly Clarkson has a huge following and Carry Underwood has one a grammy or a CMA or both. Where are Clay's awards?
Yes, i know he does good things for communities, but he is not a good singer.

Sarah said...

Clay Aiken seems like a lovely man, and Michelle, you obviously have your strong affections for him. However, in your avid attempt to defend the heck out of Clay Aiken you have missed the entire point of my blog... That American Idol doesn't produce Idols and those that could be Idols are kicked off or ridiculed because they don't fit a certain standard. But if we're on the topic of Clay, quite frankly, I have to agree with my pal Sara. The guy can't sing and to even compare his career to Kelly's laughable.
Please read my entry for what it's worth though, I wasn't trying to make a mockery out of Clay Aiken, only the show that made him famous in the first place.

Anonymous said...

where'a my post? you didn't answer it? I wanted to know what the hype was ? why does she have such bad live performances? NASCAR is where I saw her most recently but she sucked, as she has on many other award show performances? or was it because She's a lesbian? I saw it on the internet. my sister is one and she loves Kelly. I just din't get her hype. I think she's terrible live

Anonymous said...

By the way Are All Kelly fans this RUDE and condecending to other Idol contestants, I'm new to this but I have seen her fans post some pretty scathing stuff about anyone that comes close to her "pseudo-fame"?

Anonymous said...

I love Sanjaya.

Sarah said...

Anonymous:
The reason I chose not to answer your comment is because someone that would leave such an ignorant and stupid question and then sign "anonymous" obviously thinks it is also a stupid question.
BUT, since for whatever reason this blog entry really seems to be bugging you, someone I don't even know, much more than it should, I shall put this all to rest.
I am not a huge Kelly Clarkson fan, I think she's the most talented to come out of American Idol winners. This is hilarious to me that people are getting this hyped up over a TV show. You don't know the contestants, you aren't on the show...so please, stop acting like you are.
My blog entry was about how I think the people they reject (for weight, for whatever) are 10 times better than any of the people that have come off as winners (including Kelly Clarkson).
To your question about her sexuality I answer with this:
I roll my eyes and hope to God that you are a 6th grade girl because quite frankly, that would be the only way to justify such a ridiculous question.
Like I said to Michelle, read my blog for what it is, and believe it or not when I put down the Idol contestants, I am not putting YOU down. Try to remember that.

Anonymous said...

My goodness...such a lively comment area!

I'm addicted to American Idol - sick I know. I'm pretty sure people are joining forces each week to keep one bad person on, explaing Sunjaya.

I agree with your post...the show is junk...but I love to watch.

Anonymous said...

I am not an American so perhaps I'm not that familiar with her HENCE my questions are valid. I'm merely surprised she gets the attention she does. I don't think she's very good. I'm not a fan of American Idol. But I thank you for answering my question.