Tuesday, April 17, 2007

We'll walk in fields of gold...


Whenever I am feeling blue, or lonely, or even just bored I like to go the Smithsonian Zoo website and look at the pictures of Tai Shan, the baby panda. I've seen him in person (err...panda) twice. The first time was not long after he was born in November 2005. He was just a little ball of black and white fur and was sleeping. He was adorable though. The second time was this past summer when I went to DC with Chris. He was playing in a tree though so it wasn't as easy to see him.
Yesterday after hearing the news about Virginia Tech the whole UMaine campus had a certain solemness to it, I think everyone was soaking up the facts and realizing how similar a campus we are to Virginia Tech and it's a scary realization. So, instead of focusing on the sadness of it all, and the confusion the news was spewing at us, I headed to the Smithsonian website and looked at my buddy, Tai Shan. There's a certain innocence to all animals, but especially baby ones when they are as cute as little Tai Shan is. I mean...what's not to love about this little face?:
Sometimes I think I should get into zoology, but then I remember I don't like science and that all I would want to do is hug baby pandas all day long and I don't think they have a position such as that at most zoos. Oh well...for now, I'll just go to zoos and look at their adorableness from there.
But, seriously...the next time you are feeling down or anything head on over to the Smithsonian Zoo website, I promise that Tai Shan will put a smile on your face. :)

Later, gators!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah. I really enjoy reading your blog as well as your other family members' blogs. I am on vacation this week and find myself watching way too much coverage of VA Tech. My first thoughts were of you and Lee Thompson who is also at UMaine. I am glad you are well and that you keep in touch with your family so well.

Love, M-S